Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"My hope is built on nothing less...."


I'm realizing today more than ever that our hope must be ONLY in the Lord! We have no other recourse. If there is one thing I have been learning in these past years it is that one cannot place their hope in people; people will fail and continue to do so---Only in God must we put our trust. We run the risk of developing bitterness and getting permanently depressed and disappointed when we put our trust in places other than God alone.
Psalms 62: 5-8 Amp.
"My soul, wait ONLY upon God and silently submit to Him; for my HOPE and expectation are from Him. 6) He ONLY is my rock and my salvation; He is my Defense and my Fortress; I shall not be moved. 7) With God rests my salvation and my glory; He is my Rock of unyielding strength and impenetrable hardness, and my refuge is in God! 8) Trust in, lean on, rely on, and have confidence in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts before Him. God is a refuge for us (a fortress and a high tower). Selah [pause and calmly think of that].
I'd like to do that for a minute. See that phrase in the italics? If I'm not mistaken the "Message" renders that daily lay out the pieces of your life before the Lord. Now, I can't stop this right now and find a copy of the "Message" online to check it but I know there is one verse in the "Message" that reads just like that. What a picture! Sometimes it seems like today's pieces are like those little Dr.'s office preschool puzzles that you see. Easy bezy...but then there are those days when it seems like you have a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle to lay out. Boy, I know that feeling. To God it is all the same...but from my side...I have to remember, Ps. 31:7 Amp. "I will be glad and rejoice in Your love, for You saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul."
My dear friend, I've seen your anguish and most of you have definitely seen mine. What a gift, that alone is, but to think that God not only "sees" my affliction but "knows" my anguish. To "know" for God means He actually participates in the pain with you by His Holy Spirit. What comfort and I really need that comfort today!
"Blessed are You , the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In Your great mercy You have given us new birth into a living HOPE through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is incorruptible, undefiled and unfading, reserved in heaven for us." [I Peter 1:3-4 Amp.]
To which I said; "How long O Lord, How long?" He immediately answered me..."In Your great grace, O God, You called me to Your eternal glory in Christ. After I have suffered a little while, You will perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish me. To you be the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." I Peter. 5:10-11 from [Face to Face: Kenneth Boa]
My hope cannot be in: government, the church, the leaders in the church, my employment, or the unemployment agency (which ever applies), family members, friends or anyone else--my hope has got to be in Christ alone.
I think of Martin Luther's words which I love so much: "I'm Yours, Lord, save me!"
To whom are you looking for help and hope?

1 comment:

Deborah Downs said...

Hmmm... I would have to say that in the past, I adopted the assumption of the world in thinking that I could only rely on myself for hope. I knew others would let me down eventually but I did not realize that I can let me down too. I found out repeatedly how much one can actually let themselves down. Fortunately I have pulled out of my spiraling plunge to destruction and now rely on God for so much more.